Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A month of Generation

I've always loved the idea of generative computer music. I appreciate it with the same kind of wonder that I do with trees. They both start out a tiny little acorn which you plant in the ground. You give it time and it grows, twisting and turning in beautiful ways that you'd never expect.

I really want to get a firmer grasp on composing generative music, so I will try to write one very short piece of generative music a week for 4 weeks. Finals and such are totally going to muck this up. I can already tell...


Anyways, here is my Week 1 composition. This one basically utilizes the fibonacci series to determine what notes to play.  There are a total of three voices, each being played by a simple 1:1 FM instrument with linear decay.




Composition is looped based, so the same algorithm is used more than once within the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment