Sunday, February 14, 2010

CLAMP: qtractor, nekobee, AMS

Hey all!

Yesterday was a brief investigation into two applications, and a discovery of another promising one.

Alsa Modular Synthesizer:

Boy, its programs like these that make me doubt my project. It attempts to emulate voltage controlled modular synthesis like those developed by Robert Moog. Why does it it worry me? I doubt I'll be able to learn the software and use it to its full extent. Based on the some what open-ended documentation I read, I came to the conclusion that users of the synthesizer we're expected to have a previous experience with modular synthesizers. My experience with modular synthesizers is quite small, so I got lost a little bit reading this. However, AMS has many example files, and by the end of the night I was able to produce a basic sawtooth patch which could be midi controlled.

Nekobee:

This was a TB303 emulator I had heard about a year ago or so. Its a very simple synth, with a single oscillator, ADSR envelope, and a filter, but it can produce some really neat bass sounds. I could not find much information on this synth online, but this synth is easy enough to figure out.

Qtractor:

I literally just opened this application just to see if it works. I found this application on this website, and the screenshots I saw of this looked very promising. I found it on the ubuntu package manager, and installed it. Qtractor will be added to my Software List, which ofcourse is still in constant flux.

Thinking outloud, that software list is getting awfully big. It needs some organization.

Finally, I made a new page on my CLAMP page: Check it out!

Alright, I think thats about it.

-P

No comments:

Post a Comment