Friday, February 12, 2010

CLAMP: top 3 major accomplishments

Its febuary break, and CLAMP is trudging along now! Much software that I hoped to install has been installed already, and I've made some personal breakthroughs.

To name 3:

1. The realtime Linux Kernel: used to optimize and prioritize programs the computer executes, the Linux kernel has always been a bit of a mystery for me and something far off in the distance. Thanks to a few easy to follow tutorials and references, getting the realtime kernel to work with my audio programs was surprisingly problem-free. Well, EnergyXT had some issues, but we'll fix that issue when we get there.

2. WineASIO: Still not entirely sure what the full use of this is, or what ASIO is, but it was needed to hook up reaper to jack. smells like a point of research for me! Reaper is so far golden for me under the Linux-RT kernel and WineASIO and I hope to be making some music with it soon!

3. Bristol: I haven't used it too much, but this software appears to be too good to be true. Its an emulation of many major vintage synths including the Juno-6 and the minimoog. It even has SID-chip inspired synth. I believe I compiled this one from source because it wasn't working right when I installed via synaptic (suprise suprise.) More to come on this bit of software.

Alright, theres my little tidbit for you today.

Til next time,

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment